history/timeline < 1920 >

1920 timeline photo


An agreement was reached between St. Joseph Hospital and Epworth Hospital to use South Bend Medical Laboratory as their lab.


In December, Dr. A.M. Petersen stepped down and Dr. Alfred S. Giordano was brought in as the Director of the Laboratory. The main tests being performed during the 1920s were the amount of butterfat in milk and water was tested daily for the city. In addition, there were many cases for Pathology review of removed tissues, Hematology tested blood samples and cultures were tested.


About 55 tests were being performed with about 1,213 specimens removed in surgeries that were examined by a pathologist.